Friday, August 25, 2023

Surgery



















On June 20th I had a hysterectomy.  My uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes were removed.  My ovaries stayed so I could avoid early menopause.  It was a long journey to get to this final surgery date.  After about a year of crazy (nearly constant) very heavy periods, they found a large (size of an apple) fibroid inside and attached to my uterus.  The fibroid was causing my uterus to stretch and causing my bad periods.  The first week after surgery was awful.  The pain was tolerable, but I was extremely nauseous. I could eat only saltines in order to take my meds.  I spent most of the day and might in bed.  Jon was amazing, taking on all kid duties (including sports driving), lunch packing, bus stop, laundry, cleaning etc.  The kids were super helpful also!  And a group of friends sent dinners for a week!  A huge thanks to Beth for organizing!  It was a very difficult week, but I also felt so lucky to be cared for by so many friends and family.  Thankfully after a week I  improved little by little, walked every day, and am now doing great!  Back to mostly normal including jogging again (9 weeks post surgery).  The first two weeks I often had visitor in the early mornings climb in bed with me and read while I'd rest.  Throughout the first four weeks the kids and I did lots of relaxing a reading together.  The plus side is that it got me the summer off from work, which I REALLY enjoyed! And now, no more periods!

No comments:

Post a Comment